Saturday, December 22, 2012

Who do you Tweet that I am?

I'm sitting here writing this article out at my desk from home, on my computer that has two monitors. A few minutes ago, I was reading tweets by the Pope on my phone from the couch. I don't have one, but tomorrow morning millions of people will wake up and read the newspaper from their tablets. Who knows what will be happening a month from now, a year, a decade? When I graduated high school, I never would have thought ANY of that was ever going to be possible. Well, except the computer with two monitors, I'm not that old.

So what's my point? Technology is moving quickly, faster than anyone would have expected, and what people are realizing more and more readily is that it's all coming down to information, communication. This definitely has its downsides, as the more information we're inundated with on a daily basis can serve to blur the lines between solid truth and relativistic ambiguity, but it has so many potential upsides.

Christianity has a real opportunity here. Getting the gospel out to the masses is just a few clicks away. Through blogging, twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and countless other social media sites, we can share our faith with more people than every before, and I would encourage anyone who can to do so. I mean, like I said above, the Pope is on twitter. Guys, the Pope! And he posts from his iPad! His account is @pontifex, by the way. You should follow him if you don't.

But there are some pitfalls we need to watch out for in this brave new world. The flip side of the coin is that, while you can reach countless souls, they can reach right back. And take it from me, it can be a real challenge to not get sucked into a pointless internet debate.

I don't say that to try and stop people from evangelizing directly on the internet. I've been in plenty of debates over Instant Messenger, email, even Facebook that myself and my "opponent" have walked away from feeling at least a little more educated on the others perspective. But often times there are people who will insult you and your position with no intention of discussion, and for the smallest things. I once posted a Lenten reflection on Facebook for my Christian friends, and had the entire thing blow up when a few people started commenting how annoyed they are when people mention God on the internet like He actually exists. I don't normally, but I ended up having to deleted all the comments just to keep the spirit of the reflection intact.

So how do we get around this? Well, sometimes we can't. If you blog, you can think about filtering comments, or just shutting them off completely. I don't do that, but it's an option. On twitter, you simply can't keep people from reading, retweeting, and replying to your messages. You can lock down your Facebook page and configure certain posts to only be viewable by certain people. But you're not going to reach a whole lot of souls by doing that.

So what it comes down to is pure old fashioned discipline. Pick your battles, identify who wants actual dialogue and who wants to troll you in anonymity. But remember the saying that if you're not turning anybody off, you're not turning anybody on. And as you go forward, keep in mind the words of Christ in John 15:20:
Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.

So what now?
Well, if you like what you read here at all, check out my other posts, post a comment, and/or subscribe to this blog! You can also check out my twitter feed at https://twitter.com/UnrefinedRoman, which you can also check out over on the sidebar. You can also like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/UnrefinedRomanism for more updates, reflections, and whatever else I feel like posting from day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment